Thursday, December 27, 2012

30 Year Anniversaries

One fact that dawned on me while spending the last 2 months reorganizing my collection was that it has been exactly 30 years since I began collecting cards. The Randy Bass and Dave Chalk cards from 1982 Topps are two that I'll never forget. I remember being excited about having a card of the Royals' third baseman, but unfortunately it wasn't the card of the great George Brett. I also thought it was pretty funny that Randy Bass had the same name as a fish, and wondered if he liked to go bass fishing when he wasn't playing baseball. Hey, I was 6 years old at the time...


My earliest collecting memories      


About three or four years ago, I came across a partial set, of course missing the majority of the star cards. A few trades here and there combined with some eBay purchases and I had made major headway towards finishing it. There was one card, though, that I couldn't ever snag in a trade or break down and buy. I'll give you 3 guesses to figure out which card it is.


Give up?

Still need this one after all these years









2013 will mark the 30th anniversary of the 1983 Topps set, which features the rookie cards of Ryne Sandberg, Tony Gwynn, and Wade Boggs. This is one of my all-time favorite Topps sets, but for some reason I never put a set together. I do have the "big 3" rookies and maybe 10 packs or so I bought that year.

Completing the 1983 set is my first goal for the upcoming year. I know I could buy the set for a decent price, but I'd rather do it the old fashioned way and assemble it piece by piece.

If you have some 1983 Topps you'd like to unload, send me an e-mail and let's make a deal. I'd even be willing to make a deal for that 1982 Topps card pictured above ;)

Until next time,
Ryan 




No comments:

Post a Comment