Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year, New Focus

2012 wasn't exactly what I'd call a banner year for my collection. For the first time in my life, I seriously considered giving up the hobby.

I didn't have the desire to keep up with the latest releases. I had a tough time getting to my LCS and buy packs. My card budget had pretty much shrunk to zero, and any extra money I did have seemed like it was going to something else not card-related.

And rather than building the Flagship card by card, I broke down and bought the factory set. The collector in me still shudders at that fact...

But as I thought about all of the things that were discouraging me, I started to think about why I collected in the first place, and my frown began to turn upside down.

I rounded up the myriad stacks of cards that had overtaken my desk, cards that I was saving for "a trade to be named later," or cards that were going to become my next set undertaking.

I consolidated boxes, all the way from 400 count to the 5,000 monster variety. Along the way I found some cards I forgot I even had, such as the 2011 Topps Update Mike Trout gold parallel RC.

Slowly but surely, I made organization out of chaos, and the flame was re-lit. I realized that if I was going to continue to have fun in this hobby, it was going to have to take some effort on my part.

After finishing my sorting extravaganza, I decided it was time to get back in touch with my fellow collectors. During the last year or two, I have discovered a lot of bloggers that I enjoy reading, not only because of how well they write, but because of the passion they have for their collection. I call it "Bubble Gum for the Soul," for lack of a better term.

Last but not least, although I am not the type of person to make resolutions for myself with each new  year, I am making some collecting resolutions. I'm going to set these resolutions mid-level; somewhat easy to obtain, but not so lofty that I'll be discouraged if I don't reach any of them. In no particular order...

*Finish the 5 sets I am currently working on: 2012 Topps Update (baseball), 2011 Topps Update (baseball), 2009-10 Panini (basketball), 2010-11 Donruss (basketball), and 1983 Topps (baseball).

*Add 500 new cards to each of my Braves, Yankees, and Twins team collections. I don't have exact counts on what I currently have for each, but will keep track of how many I acquire.

*Add 50 new cards to my Dale Murphy collection. I've really neglected to add to this collection, and am going to make this a priority for 2013.

*Add 50 new cards to my Tom Brady collection.

*Add 75 new cards to my 1963 Topps baseball set. I've been working on this set for a couple of years now, and am about halfway to completion. On the bright side, I've got a lot of the 1st and 2nd series commons knocked out. On the not so bright side, I'm still missing all of the HOF and star cards, including the Pete Rose RC. It's a marathon, not a sprint, right?

*Complete 50 trades with fellow bloggers. I'm hoping that a year from now as I look back, this number is much higher.

*Post a minimum of 3 new blog entries per week. Again, like the previous goal, I'm hoping this number is much higher.

Until next time,
Ryan

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck on those goals... I'm definitely down for trading. Hopefully, I can find some stuff that will help you work towards those goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Bubble Gum for the Soul", good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete