Thursday, January 31, 2013

2013 Topps

Having read a bunch of 2013 Topps posts from the blogosphere, I feel a bit late to the party.

Like Joe Walsh, I too, like to party, sometimes until 4. And definitely know it's hard to leave when you can't find the door...

I found the 2013s in stock at Wal-Mart on Monday, and wasn't planning on buying any. I just happened to stroll down the card aisle, and as luck would have it, were sitting right there, ripe for the buying.

That first pack of the flagship release excitement won out. I grabbed a 72-card hanger box (forgive me if I am using the wrong nomenclature), finished my shopping, and headed home.

I'm not one to expect Topps to reinvent the wheel every year. I go into each release knowing there's going to be some gimmicks, whether they be super duper extra rare short prints, retro-design minis, insert set after insert set,or parallels that I'm guessing will feature nearly every color in the Crayola 64 box before too much longer.

One thing I've come to learn with Topps over the years is this:

You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have a Topps release.

Me, I'm happy with getting the 330 cards of each series, and anything else is just icing on the cake. Actually, it resembles trade bait more than cake, but you get the picture...

My first impression of 2013 Topps is favorable. I like the crisp, white borders which really cause the team colors and logo to stand out. I think these will look just as good in the Chrome version later this year. I don't anticipate buying a ton of this product--enough to get a decent start on the set--so I don't think design burnout will be an issue. Topps continues to raise the bar with its photography. The majority of the horizontal photos aren't just for the sake of being horizontal, but actually capture a quality action shot.

I present to you Exhibit A, one Shin-Soo Choo, late of the Cleveland Indians:



Rather than just showing a vertical picture of Choo in the outfield, Topps captures the "will he catch it, or won't he?" factor with this shot. You can see the concentration on Choo's face as the ball makes its descent to his glove.

Topps does the job for me. I know what to expect going into each season, and outside of the hideous 2007 design, have not been disappointed in a long time with them. 2013 looks to be another strong set and I'm looking forward to it.

I did come across an unusual card.though..how Topps gets these exclusive shots of players with their new teams even though pitchers and catchers don't report for another 2 weeks is a mystery. Do they stage games in some alternate universe, just for the sake of getting the most accurate and up-to-date cards in their set?

/sarcasm


 Until next time,

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment