Thursday, January 17, 2013

Trade with All the Way to the Backstop

Today brought another padded envelope to my mailbox, this time courtesy of All the Way to the Backstop.

One of the cool things about Backstop is that he is a Padre fan who moved from San Diego to Texas, yet never quit rooting for the Friars. Another cool thing is that like me, he is a Darin Erstad collector, and being that I live in Darin Erstad's hometown, am easily able to help him out with his Erstad collection. I was able to find a decent amount of Padres, including some vintage 70s cards to help fill out a couple of team sets, along with some Erstad cards.

In my extremely short time in the blogosphere, I still am amazed at the generosity shown by everyone I've traded with, and this trade was no exception. The package today had well over 100 cards, mixed with Twins, Yankees, and Braves, as well as a few random 1982 commons. Definitely more than I was expecting.

I only chose three out of the 100+ cards to show, but there were many "scanworthy" cards in the bunch.

First up, is a card of the "Crime Dog," Fred McGriff. One of the most respected players in baseball history, I don't think I've heard a player or fan say a bad thing about the guy.While mainly known for his power at the plate, McGriff was also a pretty solid fielding first baseman, as shown in this card below.

Tom Emanski's Defensive Drills video helped Fred here


 The McGriff card also gave me an excuse to post this pic:


Whatever happened to those "back-to-back AAU National Champions?"















Next up is Minnesota Twins legend Kent Hrbek. Hrbek was always one of my favorite players growing up, and after spending the last 15 years or so in ND, which is definitely Twins Territory, I've gained even more appreciation for him.  


"Herbie" is still a Twin Cities icon, and makes frequent appearances at Target Field. He even finds time to make commercials, such as the one below:

Last, but certainly not least, is The Captain, Derek Jeter. Those of you with strong Yankee opposition may want to quit reading here, or just scroll to the bottom of the page. I'll never pass up a chance to show off a new Jeter addition to the collection. You have been warned....


All in all, another successful trade in the books. Thanks again and look forward to trading with you again soon!

Until next time,

Ryan

1 comment:

  1. Nice trade!

    Thanks for making me aware of All The Way to the Backstop. I'm also a Padre fan a ways away from Petco (1,804 miles), so it's great to find his blog.

    And admittedly, while I'm no Yankees fan, that's a great Jeter card, congrats!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete