Thursday, January 10, 2013

Trip to the LCS

Today I managed to have about 45 minutes of free time and made a trip to my local card shop. I feel fortunate to have a card shop in my town, since there are so many collectors whose main means of obtaining cards is online.

It was good timing on my part as the owner had just acquired a massive collection a few days ago, and there were many boxes to go through. Knowing my affinity for pre-1980s cards and understanding that I was short on time, the shop owner directed me to some of the boxes he had sorted.

I only made it through two 800-count boxes full of 1975 Topps, another 800-count box of assorted 70s commons, and some 2012 boxes before I had to leave.

Unfortunately, there were no Robin Yount or George Brett rookies to be found, but on the bright side I did add 40 new Yankees cards to add to my team collection.




I also lucked out and found some Braves cards too. I didn't have my 70s want list with me, so I passed on the vintage Braves and stuck to the recent issues.






The 1975 Topps Herb Washington card has intrigued me since I saw it for the first time many years ago. I could never bring myself to buy the card online, and not too many pop up in trade offers. Today I was able to pick up 3 of them.

In case you haven't heard of Herb Washington, he was a world-class sprinter signed by the A's strictly for his speed. The front of his card lists his position as pinch runner, and the statistics on the back show nothing but games played, runs scored, stolen bases, and stolen base attempts. In 105 games between the 1974 and 1975 seasons, Washington scored 33 runs, stole 31 bases, and amassed a grand total of 0 at bats. The 1975 card is the only baseball card to list "pinch runner" as a player's exclusive position.

Not much needs to be said about the 1975 Oscar Gamble. His afro is one of the most identifiable hairstyles in sports, and this card captures the essence of the 70s all in one shot.

Being a catcher throughout my baseball playing days, I couldn't pass up a chance at picking up a card featuring Johnny Bench. I would have liked to find the regular issue in the dime box, but a leaders card will do just fine.



 

I picked up 63 cards in all for a whopping $5.00, and bought 5 packs of 2012-13 OPC hockey for $10, bringing my total damage to $15.

I am planning on going back sometime next week, so if you are looking for any 75 commons, send me a list and I'll see what I can find.

Until next time,

Ryan

2 comments:

  1. That's crazy. A card shop with 800-count boxes of '75 Topps? I'd never leave the damn store.

    Too bad you picked up all those Yankees and Braves. Yick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pickups! The Washington and Gamble are two of my favorites from the '75 set.

    Heck, they're even two of my favorites from all-time. It doesn't get much better than that right there.

    ReplyDelete