Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Opening Day, Topps Style


There was a time in my collecting career I would not have bought packs unless it was a set I planned on completing but a lack of space, time, and money combined with a focus on just collecting team sets has made me more of a responsible collector. 

I had to make a Wal-Mart trip today for some essentials and even though I have my 2020 Series 1 Topps Yankees team set, decided to take a quick look at the card section and see if any Heritage or Opening Day was in stock.

As luck would have it, Opening Day was in full supply and there were a few random 35-card Heritage boxes on the shelf. I grabbed two 24-card Opening Day packs and one of the Heritage boxes to scratch the ripping itch.

Needless to say I didn't get any auto, relic, or super short prints from Opening Day. The packs were a fun rip regardless, and I am impressed with the quality appearance of the cards. My first memories of the Opening Day set were of regular base set cards either stamped or covered in a colored foil that made the cards seem of lesser quality.

Pack one highlights included a Gavin Lux RC, Alex Bregman, Trent Grisham RC, Nick Senzel, Yoan Moncada, Blooper the Braves mascot, Reggie Jackson "Spring Has Sprung" insert, and an "Opening Day in Washington" insert.

Pack two yielded Paul Goldschmidt, Andrew Benintendi, Carter Kieboom Blue Opening Day insert, Adbert Alzolay RC, Zac Gallen RC, Jesus Luzardo RC, Nolan Arenado, Oscar Mercado, Oakland Athletics mascot, "Opening Day in Cincinnati", and a Bo Bichette Sticker Collection Preview.

Everything is for trade, so if you have any Opening Day needs, send me an email or comment and I'd be happy to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment